Texas Pete Hush Puppies w/ Cheddar Cheese & Bacon
Ingredients:• Peanut, Grapeseed or Canola Oil, for Frying
• 1 1/4 Cups of White Cornmeal
• 1/3 Cup of All Purpose Flour
• 1 tsp of Kosher Salt
• 1 tsp of Black Pepper
• 2 tsp of Baking Powder
• 1 Cup of Buttermilk
• 1 Egg, beaten
• 1 tsp of Garlic, minced
• 2 tbsp of Texas Pete Hot Sauce
• 1 Cup of Texas Pete Salsa, medium*, drained, pulsed in food processor
• 1 Cup of Cheddar Cheese, Thick Shredded
• 1/2 Cup of Bacon, Cooked and Crumbled
• Kosher Salt for Finishing, to taste
<span style=""font:" 16.0px="" helvetica"="">
- Preheat fryer to 350 degrees or pour 4 inches of oil into a deep, heavy pot. Clip a candy thermometer on the side of the pot and bring to 350 degrees over medium-high heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, salt, pepper and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg, garlic, Texas Pete Hot Sauce and Texas Pete Salsa. Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed.
- Add cheese and bacon. Mix until just combined.
- Using 2 tablespoons or a #30 scoop, carefully drop balls of batter into fryer. Fry for about 4 minutes, turning halfway through, until golden brown and cooked through.
- Transfer to paper towel lined sheet tray and sprinkle with kosher salt to taste. Serve immediately.
More Side Recipes: